Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Reliance

Earlier this week, I posted on a book that I read each year to gain my word for the year.  In January, I read it and got my word for 2020.  I am always just so amazed at how God shows us how to live out our word each year.  2020 hasn't gone the way any of us thought it would and when I was gifted this word in January, I thought, huh, well we will see where this takes us.

My 2020 word is Reliance.

Reliance is a noun meaning: dependence on or trust in someone or something.

Dependence or trust.  With our current situation in the world today, I can totally see my word being lived out not just by me but by everyone.  There is no way we can make it through this pandemic without reliance!  And we surely can't make it through it with reliance on ourselves but rather full reliance on God.  We can't make it through life in general without God.

Full reliance on God means that we trust Him with all aspects of our lives.  It means that we know we can't do things in our strength but rather through the strength he gives us through the Holy Spirit.  Proverbs 3:5 tells us to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart do not depend on your own understanding." (NLT)

Whatever the circumstances we are given in life, we need to have full reliance on God.  He is perfectly capable of holding onto us through any storm.  Often times, our circumstances can create fear and chaos right to our core.  But in those moments is when we need to trust God and have full reliance on Him to meet our need and hear our cries.  God is never not with us.  God is never jolted off the thrown.  God is completely trustworthy and so we are able to be completely reliant on Him.  Beth Moore once said, "As God's children, we are the recipients of lavish love- a love that motivates us to keep trusting even when we have no idea what God is doing."

We don't have to have all the answers.  We will never get all the answers.  We DO have to trust God, relying completely on Him who has the full picture, the full plan.  And when we are in those moments where we don't see God, we have to trust that He is working upstream for our good.  Romans 8:28 reminds us that  "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".  There is never a moment that we shouldn't be completely reliant on God.  "Sometimes the very essence of faith is trusting God in the midst of things He knows good and well we cannot comprehend." (Beth Moore)

We are each learning to be reliant on God each day.  There isn't one magic day that you snap your fingers and magically you just rely on God completely.  It's a process.  It's a process because we are constantly growing and learning.  It's a process because God wants us to see we can trust and rely on Him in all ways and at all times.  If there was a magic solution, would we need God?  But if we are obedient and listening to God's commands.  If we are living a life that represents God at the center of it.  If we are truly living out our faith in all God does for us then, then we can walk confidently into complete reliance on God.  And with that complete reliance comes peace and assurance.

God has made promises to us and God never fails.  God never leaves.  God never forgets.  God's promises endure forever.  We, as children of God, must trust those promises.  "God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind.  So God has given us both his promise and his oath.  These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie.  Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to his promise with confidence." Hebrews 6:17-18 NLT

Reliance.  That's my word for this year.  I can see God showing me how to live out this word in my life daily.  Full reliance on God means that I don't try to fix it my way but instead, I give it to God and let Him work all things out for my good.  I'm still learning to be completely reliant.  Giving up full control is hard for this OCD gal, but God is fully capable.  God is trustworthy.  God is full of grace and patient.  So I can allow myself to be completely reliant on Him to walk with me through any and all circumstances of my life.  That is a reason to praise right there!

Lord, help us, and help me to be completely reliant on You.  You want the very best for us so when we feel our world doesn't make sense, remind us that we can trust You.  We do not have to know the big picture but You, Lord, You work out all things for good and so we just need to walk with You knowing that You are always at work for us.  Help us to relinquish our own ways and just "be" with You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment