Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Generosity

Ok, before you even start scrolling on past let me just say, I know we are currently dealing with people out of work, people with loss of pay and people just trying to make ends meet.  I get it, trust me, it's hitting my home too.  But before we get all defensive about money, let's just sit for a minute in what God wants for us and our finances.

In 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (NIV), God tells us,  "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.  Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.  And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

God loves a cheerful giver, a generous giver and those who are generous will reap generously.  I know what you're thinking, how can I give when I don't know how I'm going to pay my bills.  Well, there's an answer, But God.

I remember several years ago, when my husband and I made it a priority to tithe and give to various charities.  My Gramma and I had a conversation and I remember saying to her that I couldn't believe how I felt we weren't paycheck to paycheck anymore.  I was just amazed at how once I opened my finances to God, how he blessed my home through that obedience.  Since we have begun tithing, God has continued to give us what we need when we need it.  My Gramma said it was the same for their household.  Now, I'm not saying that we have become millionaires by any means but we have been so richly blessed by our obedience to give even when I wasn't sure where that giving was coming from.

And in these current days, there is no bigger reason to give.  Our churches and religious organizations are closed.  There is no offering basket being passed around or sitting at the door.  Our churches and organizations are completely dependent on its people to continue to give online or through other ways. 

Mind you, I'm not telling you that you have to give all you've got.  I understand.  I've been there.  But I encourage you to continue to contribute and give something.  Not only is it good for our church and organizations but it is good for your soul.  Often when we spend time helping others, our situations don't look so dire.  "God is ready to show you not only His pleasure, but His approval."- Joni Eareckson Tada.

God has promised us abundance.  God has told us in John 16:24 (HCSB), "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name.  Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be complete".  Ask. Ask for what you need.  Ask God to show you where you can trim from the edges and step out in faith and generosity.

One of the Pastors at a church we attended in Georgia once said, "Don't give God your leftovers, give him complete access to the best of the meal".  Don't wait and see what is left at the end of the bills and then decide what you will give to God.  Instead, make God your first priority.  I can attest to the blessing that comes from doing just that.

So in today's current world, don't give up hope.  Ask God for guidance in your giving.  Ask God for guidance in managing your finances.   Don't think that just because the doors are closed that there isn't still a Kingdom need.  God loves a cheerful giver.  Be generous.  Be trusting.  And if you step out in faith, God will pour out blessings.


Father, I know that so many of us are struggling right now with finances and jobs and unsure on how we are going to pay just the essentials.  But Lord, You have promised us that if we give, You will provide.  Let us open our eyes to trust You.  Let us not forget about our churches and religious organizations and the needs that the Kingdom has.  Father, I pray that I have pricked a heart  to be generous just as You are generous with each of us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment