Monday, April 6, 2020

Encouragement

If I'm being honest, today's title is meant just for me.  I need encouragement.  Let me just say that my day got high jacked pretty quickly first by an argument with my 20 year old son and then 32 text messages, 3 voicemails and 45 emails later I had the overwhelming feeling in the pit of my stomach that I wasn't going to live up to the expectation.

I'm a get 'er done type of person.  I don't like to let people down and I most certainly do not like to drop the ball.  Today, well, today was NOT my finest day.  Today was a reminder to me that I can not do all things in my strength but rather in God's. 

I just hate it when our days go beyond what we think we can control and yet, do we really ever have control?  I mean, look at our world today, there is NOTHING within our control.  We are all banned to our homes to try to keep everyone around us healthy and safe.  And some days, some days I just need some encouragement.  Don't you?

God designed us to need people around us that build us up when we need it.  People to walk alongside us when we can't walk alone.  People to do life with.  I'm not talking about the people we live with, I'm talking about those people who aren't related to you but would do absolutely anything for you.  Those people that a mere phone call or text and they spring into action whether that be prayer, an encouraging word or material things.


God tells us in Hebrews, "And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works".  We are supposed to be concerned for one another for the exact purpose of building one another up.  We should be surrounding ourselves with people in our lives that want the very best for us.

Today alone, in my most frustrating moments, I had at least six friends build me up and remind me of the purpose behind the chaos.  I think that is one of the most beautiful things in christian friendships, how we build each other up.  Our people we do life with are gifted to us by God.  As he tells us in Galatians 6:2 HCSB, "Carry one another's burdens; in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ".

How remarkable that God loves us enough to give us people to help carry our burdens.  And let's be honest, some burdens are bigger than others but we never have to carry them alone.  Friendship is important to me and I don't let just anybody into my inner soul.  But true friends always lift up and never tear down.  True friends cause us to refocus beyond ourselves and look at how Christ desires us to live.  True friends always speak truth into our lives. 

I've learned about Paul this year in my Bible Study and if you have never read any of the letters by Paul or any of his books of the Bible, I encourage you to get on that right now!  Paul is a true redemption story and he amazes me at how he always, always relied on God.  And his truths are so timely for us today.  In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul writes, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come our of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" (vs.29 NIV)

So as I sit here and look back over my day, I can see glimpses of moments of encouragement through my people.  I can see the love in their words that while I had a not so great day, God still loves me.    I can see the moments they are reminding me that they too have walked a similar path and came out ok.  I can feel the "love you's" even though we can't see each other right now.

So I encourage you, if you don't have your people, find them!  Once we are all cleared to go back to church, jump feet first into a small group.  Get involved in a Bible Study.  Get you a tribe you can call your own.  And then do life with those people so that they can build you up when you need some encouragement.

"Encouragement is to a friendship what confetti is to a party."- Nicole Johnson

Go find your people and get to getting with your party.  And to my people that walked with me today, that built me up when I felt low and who loved me through my uglies, I just want to thank each of you.  You know who you are and I am blessed to have every one of you in my life.


Father, I know that regardless of how my day goes, I am blessed because I am Yours.  You have created us to have people in our lives that build us up and Lord, I pray that if people reading this today do not know friends like this that you would guide them to their people.  I thank you Lord for the friendships in my life and for the way that you have surrounded me with people who will love me through it all.  Let us always have words of love and encouragement for each other.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment