Sunday, April 19, 2020

Our Perspective

Several years ago when we lived in Savannah, Ga, our pastor challenged us to read the book One Word that will change your life.  If you haven't read this book, here's a little bit of an overview.  Basically, each of us has a word that God wants us to be in tune with.  And as you read through this book, it helps you to focus in on what your word is. And then, once you have been inspired by God with your word, you are supposed to live that word out so that your life will be more purposeful. When Chris and I read it in 2014, it was so that we could get our word for the year.  And since that first time reading it in 2014, my word has evolved each year.  It's amazing how with each new year and new season of life, God gives me a new word to focus on, to live out and to grow me closer to him.

In January of 2014, my word was Perspective.  And I have carried this word along with me over the last several years.  At the time, Chris and I were volunteering at our church in the Lighthouse Ministry and I was in leadership in Bible Study Fellowship.  I knew perspective was my word because it altered the way I viewed things.  I remember fulling hearing God tell me that if my perspective was aligned with Kingdom work, then my perspective would be about loving and serving others and not myself.

Our perspective is important.  How we view things, situations, circumstances, and ourselves all matters.  And if we allow God into our lives, he can help us keep our perspective on growing the Kingdom instead of on our worries or anxieties. In the hustle and bustle of everyday it can be so easy to lose our perspective.  When our world gets caught up in the craziness of the day, we need to slow down and turn our thoughts to God.   And then let God shift our perspective.

One of my favorite stories Jesus shares in the Bible is the story of Peter walking on water.  In Matthew 14:22-31, we see Jesus praying alone on the mountainside.  Later, he sees the boat is already a long way from land and being tossed around by waves and wind.

"Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”" (vs. 25-31)

I can relate to Peter.  We too, step out in faith and then when we take our eyes off of Jesus, we lose perspective and begin to sink.  We  should never take our eyes off of Jesus no matter what the circumstances.  Jesus constantly has his hand out to catch us and bring us back to him, to safety.  But if we lose sight of Him, if we allow our perspective to be one of doom and gloom and fear, we often times feel as if we are drowning.

So in these uncertain days, I have to ask you, what is your perspective today?  Are you feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the day?  Are you allowing your perspective to be skewed by the evil one who loves nothing more than to tempt us and create chaos within our lives?  Or are you allowing God to shape your perspective by spending time with Him and  allowing His eternal perspective to control your thoughts? 

It is so easy to get caught up in the "now" and lose sight of Jesus but don't be like Peter and take your eyes off Jesus.  Step out in full faith and assurance that God is right there in your storm with you.  Allow God to control your thoughts and perspective.  God is constant.  God is always on His thrown.  God is always in control.  God is never surprised.  I challenge you to look upon all the circumstances of your day with gladness, joy, and peace because that is the perspective God wants you to have.  Our perspective matters.  It matters to our families.  It matters to God.  Most importantly, it should matter to you.

Father, I pray that You would give each of us the proper perspective.  Fill our thoughts with those of peace and joy rather than fear and anxiety.  Lord, I ask you to prick the hearts of those who don't have a word that they would read this book and find their word for this year.  It is never too late.  And Lord, we praise You for the way that you never leave us.  Just as you reached out and took Peter's hand, You take our hand daily so that we are able to continue to walk in step and in faith with You.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment