Monday, April 23, 2018

"T"hankful for "U"nanswered Prayers

Would it be against the rules of this challenge if I combined ahead? 

Today's letter is T but I really want to add on the U.  Ya know what, I'm doing it and will just skip tomorrow.  My blog, so I'm gonna just jump right in!  In the famous words of a young man I know and love from Savannah, I can if I want to!

More often than not, we take time to be thankful for the prayers we see answered.  But, do we give thanks for those unanswered prayers?  Or do we let them slip away, never really rejoicing in God's Will and His desire for us?   I'm sure each of us can think of a moment or even moments in our lives that something didn't work out the way we intended or even wanted.  In those moments we were probably questioning God as to why?  Why didn't he step in and fix it?  Why didn't he do what I wanted him to do?  Why didn't he answer my prayer?  But if you look back on those moments in time, God's hand orchestrated the entire situation.  God's plan and timing was perfect.

In Romans 8:28 it says, and we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  So if we know that God uses everything to our good, shouldn't we be thankful for the moments that never were?  Those moments that didn't turn out how we thought they should?   Because in those moments you can truly see the hand of God.  In those moments I feel we are drawn closer to the one who loves us because we are His children. 

Joni Eareckson Tada is quoted in saying, "God has His reasons.  He has His purposes.  Ours is an intentional God, brimming over with the motive and mission.  He never does things capriciously or decides with the flip of a coin."  How sweet life is when we can look back and see God's plan was so much better than ours.  How faithful is our Father in heaven.  Even though we are sinners, he still loves us and wants His plan for us.

As I type this today, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the unanswered prayers in my life.  I want to praise God for these because without them,  I would not be where I am today.  I would not be who I am today.  I would not be growing closer to God each day.
 

2009 was a rough year for the Evoy's.  Chris was unemployed for over four months.  We lost our home, our savings, our security in living close to family.  But, that experience taught me two things.   Chris and I had to learn to not only trust each other, but we had to learn to trust God.  Had our prayers  been answered right away, we would have missed the opportunity given to us to move to Indiana.  We would have never left our "security" and stepped out on faith.  And I would not have grown as much as I have.  I miss living close to my family but I can look back and see, those unanswered prayers have grown me.  I had to learn to stand on my own two feet and with God and my husband supporting me, I have done just that.  No job for over 4 months was stressful and we were full of anxiety about our future.  But God answered our prayers in His time and in His way.

When Matthew was born, I was a single mother going through a divorce.  I was down, depressed and lonely.  I felt ashamed that my marriage was ending in a divorce and I felt like I had no idea how to be a good Mom.  How was I going to support this child alone?  I prayed for answers. It took my entire pregnancy, plus a few months, for God to finally answer my prayers.


Had God given me Chris right away, I would have missed out on the opportunity to become a strong, independent woman filled with strength to raise this gift from God.  Chris entered my life just when God saw it fit.  Chris entered Matthew's life when God knew it was needed.  

I've only been blessed to be a stay at home mom since 2010 and to this day, I still worry about our finances.  I don't contribute financially.  All the income comes from Chris and I worry about that burden he carries.  I am always keeping my eyes open for opportunities to help with the family budget. But because a job hasn't presented itself to me, I've been able to spend more time serving God. Because I don't have a job outside of the home, I am able to be completely committed to BSF.  I am able to commit to serving two days a week and when I walk away from serving, I am full of such joy.  If God had worked out a job, I would be stuck behind a desk all day missing out on opportunities to love, pray and serve alongside some great people.  God's purpose is perfection.  When and if I'm supposed to have a job, God will work it out that I don't have to give up serving Him.  But until that time, I will continue to trust God with our finances knowing that He gives us what we need, when we need it.

  One of my favorite verses is in Jeremiah, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."




Just knowing that in everything, God is there.  That God's plan is perfect.  That God wants the best for his children.  That in and of itself is enough for me to look back over my life and thank him for all the unanswered prayers.  I'll say it again and again, God's timing is perfect, His plan impeccable.

God has a plan for our lives that is so much grander than anything we could ever imagine or pray for.  Keep your eyes on Jesus knowing that His plan is for the good of His children.  Trust in that.  Praise the unanswered prayers in your life for there is a purpose behind each and every one of them. 






On a completely separate side note....today is my Dad's Birthday.  Let's see if he's following along on my blog...

Happy Birthday Dad. 

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment