Tuesday, April 17, 2018

"O"ptimism

I like to consider myself a happy, cheerful, optimistic person.  Glass half full, not empty.  A smile goes a long way.  Your perspective can change your outlook.  You know all the phrases.  A lot has been going on in the Evoy house.  I've posted about much of it because it's what is on my heart and God is trying to remind me to trust Him.  Trust and Obey as my friend Katie reminded me this morning.  It's hard to be optimistic when you feel the walls closing in.  Sometimes it's hard to be full of joy when you feel overwhelmed. 

Marie T. Freeman once said, "If you can't tell whether your glass is half-empty or half-full, you don't need another glass; what you need is better eyesight...and a more thankful heart".

She's right.  It's how we look and handle things.  The grass is always greener on the other side, or so we think.  And with everything that is going on these days, I'm often times finding it hard to be optimistic.  Instead of fearing and worrying, I need to take time to celebrate the small steps we've taken and praise God for the journey.  I need to be thankful for God's constant protection and comfort.  There's a purpose and a reason for everything that's happening, and God knows why.

Yesterday Chris underwent a few procedures to rule out a few cancers and hopefully find out why he got a PE in February.  Many of you may recall that he went to the emergency room and we discovered he had a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot in his right lung.  Yesterday's procedures didn't bring answers about the clot but they did rule out some cancers.  I should have been happy with that diagnosis, but I only became more frustrated.

Yesterday afternoon, we met with Chris' hematologist.  She proceeded to give us some information that was helpful but still did not provide answers.  She did however order a new scan of Chris' chest to confirm no additional clots because Chris is experiencing a pain on the left side of his chest now.  Again, a wave of frustration and overwhelming despair overcame my heart.

Today we had that scan and the doctor called after hours to let us know the findings.  First off, I'm amazed at an after hour call from the doctor.  Secondly, the news she shared was good news for once.  We still have a bit of a road to walk ahead of us but for today, I'm optimistic about that path.



Praises be to God, the clot in the right lung has dissolved and been absorbed by Chris' body.  The damage that was done from the clot is still healing BUT even our doctor is optimistic about how things will look at Chris' next scan in a few months.  Good stuff. 

So our next stop is at the cardiologist to check out a few concerns.  Yes, I'm worried but I'm going to remain optimistic about those exams.  I can't sit and fret and allow the overwhelming feeling take over.  I need to put on my big girl panties and live out my trust in God.

I'm learning in my study of the Book of Romans this year that as a Christian and believer of Christ, I must behave a certain way.  What example am I setting if I walk around full of negative energy?  God tells us in Psalm 31:24, Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heat, all ye that hope in the Lord.   People are watching me and observing how I respond to the constant changing circumstances with my husband's health.  I want to be so strong in my faith that my trust in the Lord oozes out of every pore of my body.  I want to be so filled with hope that I have a goofy smile on my face and people want the joy that I have.  That's my goal!  To look at the situation at hand and the path we must walk with optimism

I can do everything through him that gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Yep, I CAN do all things through Christ.  I CAN have hope in God that He has all things handled and I CAN simply sit at Jesus' feet and let Him handle the details.  I WILL be optimistic.

Thank you Lord, for Your never failing love.  Help me to be more optimistic about the circumstances surrounding my family.  Keep my eyes on You and help me to remain in the peace only You can provide.  I place all my hope and trust in You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment