Sunday, April 1, 2018

"A" New Challenge

For the first time ever I am participating in a blogging challenge.  I was prompted by a friend to stretch myself and so today I begin 30 days of blogging from A to Z.  Each day I will write about something and only God knows what it will be.  I want this experience to be driven by God's Word.  I want to use these 30 days to be in tune with what God wants to show me.  I want to walk away from this challenge with a fresh perspective of God's Will for my life.  I want my words to be words that build people up. I want my words to be words of Good News about Jesus.  So today, I feel led to write about being careful with the words we use.

Our words are important.  They can build people up.  They can tear people down.  They can make someone smile or make someone cry.  Our words live beyond the moment but can echo on into the future creating love or chaos. 



Jesus tells us how we are to live according to his commands regarding our words.  In Matthew 7:12 Jesus says, "In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets". 

I know you've heard this before.  It's called the Golden Rule.  I think every parent has said this to their children at some point in their lives.  Teachers have it plastered on the walls of their classrooms.  It's words we are to live by.  But in order to live by this rule we have to ask ourselves, are our words those of encouragement, hope, truth, love, mercy and compassion?  If you desire to be a worthy ambassador for Christ, your words need to reflect these truths.  Impulsive angry outbursts and tantrums only bring hostility, hate and frustration.  We don't need more hostility in this broken world.  What if this world changed the tide and love and compassion was the language that was spoken?  What if there was no longer anger, revenge and hate but instead the light of Christ was shown through our words and actions to our family, friends, co-workers, neighbors?  What would that world look like?

One of my favorite quotes is by Marie T. Freeman.  "When you talk, choose the very same words that you would use if Jesus were looking over your shoulder.  Because He is."  Take a moment and picture that for a second.  Jesus is standing right behind you each and every moment of every day.  He can hear every word we say.  And yet, He forgives us for our choice of words.  He never holds our words against us but instead He provides new mercies every morning.  His grace sees us through every moment of our lives and He provides us a new opportunity to try again each day.   Pleasant words are a honeycomb: sweet to the taste and health to the body.~ Proverbs 16:24

It is important to use our words wisely.  Our words should be used as an opportunity to share our
faith and love for Christ.  We live in a world that is in desperate need of hearing words of love and truth.   This morning in our new church we are helping to build, Good News was our teaching.  The Good News of Jesus.  There is enough news on the television that shares the awful parts of this world.  I challenge you to be a spreader of Good News.  Spread joy.  Spread love.  Spread happiness.  I challenge you to take a moment before you speak and allow the Holy Spirit to discern what words you should come out of your mouth.  Let's be a society that spreads the good news and shares the love of Christ.  Each new day is an opportunity from God.  Each new day is non-renewable.  Once it's gone, it's gone. I challenge you to use each day as an opportunity to use your words to spread hope and encouragement.  Our words can last a lifetime, let them be words filled with love.

No rotten talk should come from your mouth, but only what is good for the building up of someone in need, in order to give grace to those who hear. ~ Ephesians 4:29



Lord, You tell us that we will be held accountable for the words we speak and you have commanded us to choose our words carefully.  I pray that my words would be a source of encouragement and hope.  Keep me mindful of how my words can influence those around me.  May my words be an influence of good.  May my words spread the good news that Jesus is my Lord and Savior today, tomorrow and forever.  Amen.





3 comments:

  1. This really makes me think of all the things 8 speak to my children when I am tired or frustrated to get them moving. Ughhh. Good truths in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really makes me think of all the things I speak to my children when I am tired or frustrated to get them moving. Ughhh. Good truths in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading your words this month! Blessings on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete