Monday, April 22, 2019

"S"etting a Christlike Example


Not long ago I heard a sermon on letting go of the negative people in your life that do nothing but bring you down.  They offer nothing to your life.  Do you have any of those?  None of us like to admit it, but we do.  He went on to say that once we let go of the negative, God will bless us with just the right positive person we need.  It's true.  I'm living proof.  I let go of the negative marriage to be blessed with the right marriage, for me and my needs.  But that sermon got me thinking, am I setting an example for my son, my circle of friends, my family?  I talk the talk, but do I walk the walk as a Christian that I can be certain that I am surrounding myself with the positive and not succumbing to the negative?

Whether we like it or not, we are all role models of some kind.  And as Christians, we are held at a higher accountability to our friends and family.  Are you a person whose behavior serves as a positive role  model for those around you?  Are you the kind of person whose actions, day in and day out, are based on kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and love for the Lord?  Don't just jump to a quick, YES, why YES I am...because I would imagine that there are times in your life that you are as double minded as James says in his book of the Bible.  We all fall victim to this.  But stop for a second and think of how truly blessed your life could be if you WERE everything that God wanted for you.  Think of what a powerful influence you would be if you portrayed the love of Christ in your everyday actions.  Don't just talk the talk of being a Christian, get dirty and walk the walk!

Matthew 5:14, 16 says You are the light that gives light to the world...In the same way, you should be a light for other people.  Live so that they will see the good things you do and will praise your Father in heaven.


Now, I know what some of you are thinking.  If you start walking the walk, you're gonna lose some relationships but I ask you, are those relationships worthy of your time if they just bring you down?  Doesn't God have a plan of action to give you what you need?  Are you that scared that if you start moving away from the negative in your life that you won't be blessed in other ways?  It says in the Bible that our enemies will one day shake our hands.  It doesn't say it'll happen today, or tomorrow, or next year....but God has promised it will happen. 

 I will be completely honest, I've lost some people in my life.  My husband calls them "seasons".  Often, God gifts us a relationship for a season so that we can build them up, they can build us up, or they are a stepping stone to something even greater God has for us.  I've had many seasons ebb and flow in my life.  And each relationship that I thought was important, as that season ended, I mourned and grieved BUT, I've also seen, just as God has told us, new relationships form from the ruins of the old.  God is loving like that. 

 There is a reason behind every relationship we encounter.  And we have to remind ourselves of what Barbara Johnson has correctly stated, "In your desire to share the gospel, you may be the only Jesus someone else will ever meet.  Be real and be involved with people'.  God puts people in our lives so that we have opportunities to share Him.  It is our responsibility to set the example for those around us.  God uses it all.  "There is nothing anybody else can do that can stop God from using us.  We can turn everything into a testimony."- Corrie ten Boom.

 Anne Graham Lotz said once, "As we live moment by moment under the control of the Spirit, His character, which is the character of Jesus, becomes evident to those around us".  It becomes evident to those around us.  Those that support us and those that tear us down.  And those that tear you down, the more they see the Spirit working in you, the more they are gonna try to tear you down.  Don't let them.  It's their negativity that forces them to try to bring others down to their level.  You are above that my friend.  Rise above it.  Set an example of good works yourself, with integrity and dignity in your teaching.  Titus 2:7   

You should be an example to the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12  Be the example, the image of Christ.  Surround yourself with those that love you, that want the best for you, that bring happiness and JOY into your life.


 Slop off the negative.  Set the example for those around you of what the light of Christ looks like, acts like, responds like and most importantly, loves like.  Seasons come and go with the people in our lives, so use your time wisely, trusting God through each season.





No comments:

Post a Comment