Friday, November 17, 2017

Perspective- it's a noun

Are you a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of person?  Does your cup runneth over with blessings or do you see the excess as stress?  Our Pastor in Savannah, GA once asked our congregation to read the book, One Word that will change your life by Dan Britton, Jimmy Page, and Jon Gordon.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with this particular book so I'll give you a brief overview.  Each year, resolutions are made, goals created and rarely given a second thought, or kept.  But One Word sticks.  The idea being you spend time reading through this book all the while, God is prompting you with One Word that becomes your word for the year.  Then that word becomes part of you.  You own it, live it, and allow it to impact your life.  So me being the rule follower that I am, I read the book when our Pastor assigned us
homework. 

I spent time in the book.  I prayed with the book.  I took time to jot down thoughts and concepts that I felt God was speaking to my heart.  I prepared my "action plan" preparing for my word.  I committed to relying on God, to not allowing the "it's all about me" thoughts to enter my mind, and letting go of my ego.  And then all the sudden, words started flowing onto the page.  Words like,

                                                  Humble
                                                  Reliance
Commitment
Servant

And then I prayed.  I asked God to reveal my word to me so that I could keep that as my focus.  And after some time, my word appeared.  Clear as day.  And I smiled because I knew in my heart, this word was from God.

Perspective
 
noun- the state of one's ideas, the facts known to one, etc., in having a meaningful interrelationship

Perspective

And immediately I realized this was my word because I knew if you have the right perspective, everything falls into place.  If you have the right perspective, you won't sweat the small stuff because you know that God already has the big stuff handled.  Perspective.
In the hustle and bustle of everyday it can be so easy to lose your perspective.  When you world gets caught up in the craziness of the day, you need to slow down and turn your thoughts to God. 
 
One of my favorite scripture verses is Psalm 46:10, Be still and know that I am God.  I don't know about you but far too often I forget to just slow down and  be still. But, it is in those quiet moments that we have the opportunity to truly spend time with God.  We have the privilege to give our worries over to him, and to hear him speak to us through His Word.  When we take the time to be still and listen, we are blessed with the presence of our Creator.  When we allow the busyness of the day to rule our lives, we deprive ourselves of the pure joy that we could be receiving.
 
Barbara Johnson once wrote, " Attitude is the mind's paintbrush; it can color any situation".   I have to ask, what color are you painting?   
 
Instead of being overwhelmed by every detail of our day, we need to take it to the Lord and ask Him to give us His perspective. If we take the time to see our lives through the Lord's eyes, what a difference that would make.  Colossians 3:1 tells us, Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God's right hand in the place of honor and power.

I have to remind myself to carve out quiet time each day so that I can keep God's perspective and not mine.  When I take time with God, I am given the gift of contentment and joy.  My perspective becomes that of peace, happiness, and I can see how truly blessed I am. 

So today, as I spend time writing out what God wants me to learn for today's struggles, I am given these verses...

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:18

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,
declares the LORD.” Isaiah 55:8

Perspective- noun meaning the state of one's ideas, the facts known to one, etc.,
in having a meaningful interrelationship.

What is your perspective today?  Are you feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the day?  Are you allowing your perspective to be skewed by the evil one who loves nothing more than to tempt us and create chaos within our lives?  OR, are you spending time with God allowing His eternal perspective to control your thoughts? 

As for me- I will continue to walk in faith with God.  I will continue to trust my God will the details of my day knowing that He is good, loving, faithful and a God of promises.  I will walk in the light of the Lord knowing that my perspective will control the outcome of my emotions.  I will look upon all the circumstances of my day with gladness, joy, and peace because that is the perspective God wants me to have.


Heavenly Father, please give me wisdom and perspective.  Keep me mindful that Your will and truth is forever and that when life gets busy, I just need to stop and look up to You.  Guide me according to Your plans for my life so that I may have the time to be still with You.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. I like your perspective and chose to join you in it. Especially this time of year I long for perspective; keeping my mind on why we celebrate Christmas and not the errands or busy work that comes with it. I crave His Joy, Peace, and Perspective. My how relaxed I'd be if I'd just chill and let The Father who rules all, rule all in my heart and mind. Thanks for the word my sister!

    ReplyDelete